TEKS Standards: Do We Correlate?
If you are from the Lone Star State and in education, I'm sure you are over-familiar with TEKS standards. For the rest of us poor souls, let's mess with Texas for just a few minutes...just bear with me. I have good stuff for you, too!
TEKS Standards...What are they?
TEKS, or Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, are, simply put, "the state standards for what students should know and be able to do." And we know Texas likes to go big. They didn't fail in the standards/objectives department, let me tell you. There seem to be an endless supply of TEKS.
There are TEKS for English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Health, PE, Art, my favorite of course CTE, and more. Each of these TEKS breaks down for elementary, middle school, and high school. If you want to see how your state's learning objectives match up, take a look at TEKS:
- Chapter 110. English Language Arts and Reading
- Chapter 111. Mathematics
- Chapter 112. Science
- Chapter 113. Social Studies
- Chapter 114. Languages Other Than English
- Chapter 115. Health Education
- Chapter 116. Physical Education
- Chapter 117. Fine Arts
- Chapter 118. Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits
- Chapter 126. Technology Applications
- Chapter 127. Career Development
- Chapter 128. Spanish Language Arts and English as a Second Language
- Chapter 130. Career and Technical Education
Why are TEKS standards important to us?
Well, in case you haven't caught my drift yet, Texas is a BIG state. Lots of students, lots of schools. Did I mention that we develop online curriculum for CTE? Yes, we do. And the great state of Texas, rightfully so, isn't too interested in us unless we can say, "TEKS? Yeah, we have you covered!" How do you have us covered, you ask? Let me show you...
- Technology Applications, Grade 6/7/8
- Principles of Business, Marketing, and Finance
- Business Information Management I
- Business Information Management II
- Principles of Health Science
Why are TEKS standards important to you?
Not from Texas? You are probably wondering why in the world TEKS should be important to you. I promised I had good stuff for you, too. Here it is...
Not only do we correlate to the CTE TEKS, we correlate to many other state standards for Business, Computer Applications, and Health Sciences. And we correlate to important national standards for these areas of study as well.
Want to know if we correlate to your state's CTE standards? Get in touch! We'll let you know what we have.
You see we believe that it's important to have great curriculum. But it's even more important to have the right curriculum.