Phase 1: Explore
Activity: HIT Terminology
In this activity, students define terms related to Health Information Technology.
Phase 2: Learn & Practice
Unit 1: Health Information Technology Overview
In this unit, students will learn about: Health Information Technology (HIT) and how it affects both healthcare providers and clients.
1. Introduction to Health Information Technology
2. Health Information Technology and Healthcare Providers
3. Health Information Technology and Clients
Unit 2: Electronic Health Records
In this unit, students will learn about: electronic health records, view an EHR system, and use a simulated EHR system to check-in a client and make appointments for existing and new clients.
1. Introduction to Electronic Health Records
2. Electronic Health Record System Tour, Part 1
3. Electronic Health Record System Tour, Part 2
4. Electronic Health Record Documentation, Part 1
5. Electronic Health Record Documentation, Part 2
Unit 3: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
In this unit, students will learn about: HIPAA guidelines related to HIT, consequences of violations, and evaluate scenarios for violations, whether it should be reported, and the level of fault.
1. Introduction to HIPAA & HIT
2. HIPAA Violations, Part 1
3. HIPAA Violations, Part 2
Phase 3: Reflect
Activity: Reflection Questions and Discussion
In this activity, students will journal about how HIT has affected health care, patients, and health care employees. They will also journal about the importance of HIPAA.
Phase 4: Reinforce
Project: Current Event
Students will review articles for information related to a topic in the module. Once an article is found, students complete a Current Event form.